3.8.08

Disney application details

Just working on my Disney application, and I noticed this sentence on the application form itself:

Please include on a separate page in 500 words or less why you are interested in the fellowship and how your voice would add to the diverse landscape that is television.


That's a lot more specific than the generic "statement of intent" phrase they've used elsewhere. Also a little harder to do, I think.

I'm kinda stuck right now, to be honest. Maybe I should go back and polish my Pushing Daisies for a while instead.

30-Second Restaurant Reviews
Casa Bianca Pizza Pie
1650 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles, CA


A line of hungry patrons waits.
And for what?
Greasy pizza pie.
Over-cheesed and under-sauced.
Am I the only one who feels this way?

7 comments:

R.A. Porter said...

I'm doing mine this morning as well, starting with last year's SOI as a base, and it's still killing me.

It doesn't help that as a white male of Jewish heritage it's pretty hard for me to say I'd "add to the diverse landscape that is television." Well, uh, unlike all the other white male Jews, *I* bring...

Yep. Coming up bupkis.

Keith said...

My statement of interest didn't hit too much on diversity, since I'm a white male. It only talked about what I would bring to the table talent-wise. I kept it under 300 words so that they'd focus more on my autobiography. Even though my life has been uneventful, in my autobiography I touched on things from which they could infer diversity.

The Statement of Interest was the most difficult part to complete and be happy with.

The one thing which was listed in the application instructions, but not listed in the bullet points of what to include in the packet, was: "writing sample (with proof of registration with the WGA or Library of Congress)". It doesn't mention anywhere else about registering your script.

Emily Blake said...

I'm a girl, so I made a big deal about how I'm all girlie but I write action stories.

I think the important thing is to focus less on your race, and more on your voice.

Unknown said...

Say I know how to say "refusal of the Joseph Campbell" in Norwegian - and mean it.

Anonymous said...

They're looking for diverse "voices." It doesn't matter what your ethnicity is, but you need to have a perspective or set of experiences that is not the norm...that's what they consider diverse

I'm a 2008 tv fellow this year and I couldn't resist chiming in. So if you don't get in, don't blame it on not being ethnically diverse, it's just that there are applicants more compelling.

REVISE THOSE STATEMENTS, THEY REALLY TAKE THOSE TO HEART!

R.A. Porter said...

@anon, thanks for the perspective.

Anonymous said...

Good post.