20.8.07

Um... so... what now then?

I've done it. Oh yes, I have. I've sent out my very first script to be perused, judged, applauded, and acclaimed (or derided and dissed, as the case may be) by complete strangers. It feels kinda, uh, anticlimactic.

I'm trying hard not to think about how much I really really want to be accepted to the Warner Bros. Writers Workshop. I'm relying heavily on the advice of my good friend Terry Rossio who says "Never Wait". I'll try not to, T.

In the interests of never waiting, as soon as I sent off my application, I leaped right into action, updating my professional portfolio. A girl's gotta eat, after all.

So, the question is, what do I work on next? Right now I'm wavering between a Bones, a spec pilot, and a Weeds. Each has its own appeal. Since I already have two character-driven specs, a Bones spec would be a good procedural to add to my samples. But, word on the street is that lots of show runners are only requesting spec pilots these days. The thing is, if I write a pilot, it's gotta be character-driven, since that's really what I'm into the most. I've got a kernel of a good idea, but I think the fear of diving into such a huge project right now is mostly what's keeping me from going down that road. Then, Weeds is just... it's so damn brilliant it would be really fun. Hmmm... I'll keep mulling until tomorrow, when I must decide.

What do all y'all think?

Slacker Excuses
The husband fell off a Moped and smashed his collarbone just a few days before the Warner deadline. Inconsiderate husband! We spent so much of the last week in the hospital, I could write an extremely realistic doctor drama. I've got all the lingo down. By the way, if you ever find yourself getting into an accident, do it close to Huntingdon Hospital in Pasadena. It's, like, super nice, and the staff are really efficient and friendly. So, so, so much better than the hospitals I saw when I was in England. The food still sucked, but c'mon, it's a hospital, not heaven.

Interestingly, I can't find a website for the Huntingdon. Do hospitals have websites? If not, they should get them.

No comments: