10.1.07

New year, new strategy

So far my fabulous new strategy this year has amounted to a whole lot of not writing. In fact, besides the few paid writing assignments I've had (alas, just dull factual material), this blog is all I've written since the the clocked ticked over to 007, year of the Bond.

I have done a lot of thinking though. And in screenwriting, thinking things through at the beginning will ultimately save you lots of time and heartache down the line.

During these last two weeks of mulling, ruminating, and brooding, I've come to the conclusion that the 'practice' idea I was working on had run its course. The characters were weak, the idea flimsy, and the theme... just dumb. Why waste my time and energy on a movie that doesn't thrill me?

So today marks the day I stumble off the bunny slopes and start on the black diamond trail of writing a real screenplay - one that I'll want to share with anyone who will listen. I love the characters, I love the story, and I love the theme. That's a pretty good place to start I guess. Wish me luck.

No comments: