26.2.08

Decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

Isn't it wonderful when something reminds you of something which reminds you of something else and soon you are exploring something you loved so long ago you can barely remember it? Yet, you see it again, and POW, it's more lovely and mesmerizing and charged with meaning than you ever could have understood when you were 19.

I just re-read The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock for the first time in, well, a long time. Astonishing.
"I grow old . . .I grow old . . .
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me."
At times, leaving your own scripts fallow for a few months can create a similar experience -- except, you know, they're never going to read as well as Eliot. Still, it's a great way to remind yourself why you write, and that you can write, after all.

Artery Cloggery
Denny's chocolate milkshakes are another pleasure (though perhaps not quite so high a pleasure as T.S. Eliot) I recently rediscovered after years of their inconspicuous absence from my life. Now that you can't smoke in Denny's and they have a Boca burger on the menu, it's really not that bad. Plus, they still have Moons over My Hammy, which I have never eaten, because meat -- but I do so love the name. Still, Denny's ain't no 101, so it's quite likely I'll wait another decade before visiting it again.

No comments: