21.3.07

Like rap from Eminem

Ever worry that it all seems too easy?

I know, I know, I'm going to be universally hated (by the three people that read this - hi Mom!) if I start banging on about how easy screenwriting is. But some days, some weeks even, words are just not a problem.

Can it be any good if each word isn't pure sweet agony?

Surely even writers like Charlie Kaufman, who is sweaty and tortured (in Adaptation), must have days when words pour out of them like flies from compost – if flies from compost were an outrageously beautiful and desirable thing.

Those days when whole scenes appear on the page fully formed, I catch myself thinking I must be doing something wrong. And then I remember the section in my third act (almost upon me) that is little more than a light-sucking black hole into which my characters are being pulled, limb by limb, and I know that agony will return.

So I'm letting myself enjoy the unrestricted flow while I can and remembering that this writing thing can actually be fun. Plus, if it all turns out to be dross, I'll nail it in the dark days of angst-ridden rewrites.

Slacker excuses:
Free screenings courtesy of Creative Screenwriting Mag and others. I saw Super Bad last night. Super hilarious. Go Seth Rogen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this action/assassin script I have been toying with for six months, taking me forever to trudge through the second act so it makes sense... yet, for the heck of it I fired up my laptop a few weeks ago and just started goofing around, letting stuff flow out of my like water and thirty pages done in a zip